August 25, 2014

NEW ADULT MONDAYS: Frayed (Connections #4)

The New Adult genre - their bad boys and big problems and epic loves make them engrossing tales that are so easy to lose yourself in. What's not to love about that? And, now, thanks to the cool chicks at Bewitched Bookworms, we can show these books the love they deserve in a weekly feature - New Adult Mondays.

Frayed (Connections #4), by Kim Karr
To Be Published September 2, 2014
Publisher: NAL Trade
Format: e-ARC, obtained from NetGalley
Genre: new adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble
 

Rating: 4 STARS

(From Goodreads) He didn’t think, he didn’t question—he just acted.

What she wanted, she took—without regard. It was only one night, but it changed everything.

After losing his fiancĂ©e, Ben Covington is unsure he’ll ever love again. But when he sees Bell Wilde, he’s so deeply drawn to her, that he’s thrown for a loop. Maybe it’s purely sexual chemistry that’s igniting this spark between them...or maybe it’s his second chance at love.

Bell has just gotten her life back on track and may not be up for the challenge of Ben Covington. But once they’re reunited, there’s no holding back—even if a secret from Bell’s past just might shatter them both.


Okay Ben. Okay. I forgive you for your previous transgressions. Although my heart will always belong to River, I've decided now that you're pretty cool too. We're good. *fist bump*

After a tough year, Ben has finally turned a corner. He's determined to put aside all the bad feelings and things that caused him to stumble before. That includes Bell, River's sister, and the one he cheated on Dahlia with. But, when he sees her by chance, he realizes that getting over her will be much harder than any of the other vices he abandoned. 

I had a hard time starting this book. I was never Ben's biggest fan. Cheating is a hard line for me. And, when I found out that Ben had cheated on the woman who later became his fiance, he was essentially dead to me. I wasn't quite sure he deserved a HEA like River, Xander, Bell, Aerie and Dahlia. But, Kim Karr hasn't let me down yet, and I'm loving the Connections series and wanted to continue with it beyond this book. I hate not knowing things, so I figured, Ben's story was one I had to endure. 

But, although I can't say I love Ben like I love the other men in this series, I can honestly say, I no longer have a big problem with him. He definitely made a lot of mistakes in the past, but he made huge strides to rectify them. And, the people in his life that should have a problem with him recognize that and have made amends as well.  

It was obvious at the end of the novella Blurred that Ben was drowning his sorrows from the break-up with Dahlia in all the wrong ways. He was indulging in women and alcohol - both to excess. And, he really was a complete jerk. He seemed a different man in Frayed, though. He finally has his head screwed on straight and is ready to turn his life around.

Bell and Ben actually make a great couple. Bell is feisty and strong and has her own issues from the past that are currently affecting the possibility of them having something together. She has a lot of guilt and bad feelings she has to sift through. And, Ben helps her through it. I loved watching them fall in love all over again. Their dates were sweet and, I have to admit it, the chemistry between them was undeniable. 

One of the best parts is seeing the other characters' lives continuing to unfold while we watched Ben and Bell get their stuff together. We get to catch up with River and Dahlia, Xander and Ivy and Aerie and Jagger. I love how all these characters' lives are intertwined - and, especially now with Ben and Bell together. Things were set up at the end of Frayed for the next book with Caleb. I can't wait to see where everyone is then.

No comments: