October 31, 2012

Book #118 - Timepiece (Hourglass #2)


Timepiece (Hourglass #2), Myra McEntire
paranormal romance, sci-fi
325 pages
Started 10/26/12
Finished 10/29/12
3.5 STARS

If I had to give you one piece of advice regarding the Hourglass series, it would be to wait until they're all out and then read all three books at once. Or, plan re-reads if you simply can't wait (like me). Because my biggest problem with Timepiece is that I was confused for a large portion of this book. The plot is very convoluted; events are referenced that happened in the past, but since this is a time travel series, they didn't necessarily happen as far in the past as one would think. People are traveling through time and back again and then when you work in who has what ability and how that affects things, plus the ghosts that keep popping up, it's a lot to retain in order to keep the timeline of the story straight.

In these books, there are no "minor" details. It seems as if everything that happens is significant. So, the four months that passed between my reading of Hourglass and Timepiece were not kind to me. Right from the get-go, events from Hourglass were not only referenced, but built upon, and when you only have a vague recollection of what happened (and, to be honest, McEntire didn't really do a beginning-of-the-book-sum-up, which would've helped immensely), you will spend much of the book a little lost. I think that if I had read these two books back-to-back, I would've appreciated Timepiece much more.

One of the really great things about Timepiece is that it's told from Kaleb Ballard's POV. I love male POVs and I really liked Kaleb in Hourglass, so these were both wins in my book. And, I really do think the story is creative and interesting. Definitely worth a shot, especially if you like sci-fi and time travel stories. Just be prepared to do some re-reads before Infinityglass (Hourglass #3) comes out. 

No comments: