June 5, 2012

Book #62 - Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls #3)


Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls #3), C. C. Hunter
380 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 5/27/12
Finished 5/29/12
4 STARS

As sad as it made me to say it, I started out being pretty disappointed with the third Shadow Falls installment. One of my biggest complaints with Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) was that there was no forward movement in the plot arc. It felt very stagnant - like the characters didn't really grow or develop much. And, while I still love the characters, I want them to have some epiphanies or something, you know?

Unfortunately, at least for the first half of Taken at Dusk, it was just more of the same! Kylie was STILL trying to figure out what boy she should be with, STILL trying to figure out what she is, STILL angry with her dad/stepdad, and STILL trying to figure out ghosts and their problems. Argh!

Luckily, the saving grace was an interesting ghost this time and some cool twists at the end. Also, perhaps I've been a little disenfranchised because, in my humble opinion, Kylie has chosen (I use that word loosely - it's obvious she has feelings for both) the wrong boy. At the end, though, I see a glimmer of hope. That glimmer is what will carry me though to the fourth and final book. That and the hope that Kylie will, for the love of all that is holy, find out what she is, finally!

No comments: