May 31, 2012

Book #60 - Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2)


Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2), C. C. Hunter
383 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 5/23/12
Finished 5/24/12
3.5 STARS

This was one of those weird books that I really liked, but was really annoyed by all at the same time. You know what I'm talking about. It's a good story with interesting characters and a cool world. But, sometimes they seem like they're hamsters running in a wheel - there's lots of action, but they never really get anywhere.

At the end of the first book, Kylie was trying to decide between Logan and Derek, trying to figure out what exactly she is (fae, were or vamp), talking to ghosts, and being pissed off at her dad. Although there's some really fun and exciting things that happen during the course of Kylie's adventures, at the end, guess where she is? Still trying to decide between Derek and Logan, still unsure of what she is, still talking to unsettled ghosts and EXTRA pissed at her dad. See what I mean?

What I found exciting and enticing at the end of Born at Midnight, I now find irritating. Then, it was cool that I didn't know what she was. By now, I'd expect some forward movement; some progress in the storyline. Maybe a few hints at what she might be. But, instead, there's only more confusion. And, this thing between her, Logan and Derek. I get the YA love triangle - most authors feel it's an essential plot device. Why, I don't know. I'm sure they could find a more clever way to angstify their stories without a girl-loves-boy-but-maybe-she-loves-the-other-boy plot.

The saving grace are the relationships Kylie forms with her BFFs. That and Derek. I really dig that half-fairy. 


No comments: