March 16, 2012

Book #28 - Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1)


Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1), C.C. Hunter
398 pages
Paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 3/6/12
Finished 3/8/12
4 STARS

First off, isn't that dress on the girl on the book cover cool? Wish I was young enough (and had a rockin' body) to pull it off. :)

Kylie thinks she's just a girl down on her luck. Her parents are getting divorced, her boyfriend broke up with her, and she got busted at a party. So, to top it all off, she gets shipped off to juvie summer camp. And, on the first day, the poop hits the fan. Kylie finds out she's not human, but... something else. And, the rest of the camp's members are fae, werewolves, vampires and witches. Oh my!

I enjoyed this book a lot, actually. I like the big mystery around what, exactly, Kylie is. She can see ghosts, which apparently, is unique. I love that I don't have even an idea of what she is. So often these books are so formulaic that I can see the ending or "The Big Twist" a million miles away. And, while that doesn't necessarily detract from the plot of the book, it is a little disappointing.

Kylie draws the interest of both Lucas, a super hot werewolf, and Derek, a super hot fae. You know, I remember summer camp when I was 17, I didn't have super hot guys throwing themselves at me left and right. Anyway, I digress. I, personally, think she'll end up with Lucas when it's all said and done.

I liked this book enough that I'm looking forward to checking out the second book in the series. 

No comments: