March 12, 2012

Book #26 - Unearthly (Unearthly #1)

Unearthly (Unearthly #1), Cynthia Hand
435 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 3/4/12
Finished 3/5/12
3.5 STARS

I am a Christian. I believe in God. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God. So, I always knew I might have a slight problem with angel stories. But, in my effort to expand my literary horizons and try new things, I decided to give an angel story a try. My first one was Unearthly

Cynthia Hand writes beautifully. Her world-building was perfect - I could picture the mountains of Wyoming in my mind as if I was there. I think that's a key element to any story. Character development was also nicely paced and thorough.

If this is sounding a bit more detached than my usual reviews, it's because that's how I feel. Although the world-building and character development was really great, the story didn't GRAB me - y'know? I didn't find myself caring as much about what happened. The main character, Clara, does find love and seemingly fulfills her destiny, but even though all that, I was still left with that "meh" feeling. I think part of it is the whole angel concept. Perhaps my faith clouds my judgment on those types of stories. I don't know. But, it didn't do anything for me.

No comments: