March 9, 2012

Book #24 - Crossed (Matched #2)


Crossed (Matched #2), Ally Condie
367 pages
dystopian
Started 2/29/12
Finished 3/1/12
4 STARS

I am proud to say that I'm playing a major role in corrupting my friends. I'm always talking about this book or that book that I'm reading, and a few of them have finally decided to humor me and read a book or two that I recommend. Honestly, I think they agree just to shut me up, but whatever. It works. It all started with The Hunger Games - the movie's coming out soon, so it was easier than I thought to convince them to read it. Even with how great those books are, it still took my friend April a week to read each one. I know, right? Unheard of. So, then I introduced her to the Matched series. When she got to Crossed, it took her, like, three days to get through it. That should tell you how good this book is.

Our heroine, Cassia, is on her quest to find her heart mate, Ky in the dangerous Outer Provinces. While there, she learns more about the rebels that are organized and fighting against the oppression of the Society. She, Ky and the friends they make along the way finally make it to the rebel base (Star Wars, anyone?). There, they are separated as they're assigned to different posts within the rebellion. Ironically, Cassia is asked to go back to the Society to spy on them. Ky is sent somewhere else to learn how to be a pilot.

Once again, the writing in this book is really beautiful. I love the way that Condie incorporates poems by Emily Dickinson and Alfred Lord Tennyson into the story. She works their meanings into what's going on - I especially love the continued use of the "Don't go gently" line to represent Cassia's and Ky's hard line stance against the prescriptive lives they lead and the love they have for each other, but aren't allowed to.

There were a lot of really great moments in Crossed. My favorite, of course, was when Cassia and Ky finally find each other. I think I read that part three times just so it could sink in. It was completely romantic, totally sweet, and really intense - all the parts of a great romance story. And to think that this great romance is woven carefully into this violent, post-apocalyptic world.

There's one book left in the Matched series, due out in November 2012. It's called Reached - great title. The cover design was just release this week - it's GORGEOUS.



See? November is far too long to wait to see if Cassia and Ky can find their happiness. 

No comments: