January 28, 2012

Book #8 - The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)



The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2), Julie Kagawa
359 pages
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Started 1/21/12
Finished 1/22/12
5 STARS

Sometimes it's hard to wrap my mind around a really great book. You know what I mean? Even now, nearly a week after finishing this book, I'm having a hard time getting this post started. Ok. Let me take a step back and start from here:

This was a damn good book.

It has all the elements that make a fantastic story - action, humor, a kick-ass chick and a gut-wrenching wonderful love story. In the beginning, Meghan fulfills her promise and allows Ash to take her to the Winter Queen. Ash agonizes over this because he knows Meghan's time there won't be pleasant and he won't be able to shield her from that. However, they manage to uncover a plot by the new Iron King to destroy the Nevernever and every being in it. And, so, Meghan and Ash set off to defeat yet another Iron King and save their world.

So, you know those Twilight books? Wait! Don't leave! Just hear me out for a second. Yes, I read them. Fairly recently, actually. And, I really wasn't a big fan of them. Edward was the only reason I stuck through all four of them. See, I'm a completely hopeless romantic. And, I go all mushy inside when I read a story about a boy who loves a girl so much that he's willing to sacrifice anything - everything - to keep her safe and in his life. I think deep down, it's what every girl dreams about. That was Edward for me - the ultimate hero. The eternal protector.

Well, Edward has been topped.

The end of The Iron Daughter was so amazing, I had to read it three times. Ash gave up everything he knew for Meghan, not even knowing for sure whether she would return the gesture (of course she did). THAT is the kind of love that I want to read about. He left his family, his home, his whole world because he fell in love with the wrong girl and wasn't willing to give her up. Oh yeah - Edward who??

No comments: